Compare the peace and normalisation treaties signed after World War II between Japan and the Republic of China (Taiwan) (primary source 2), Japan and the Republic of Korea (primary source 3), Japan and the People’s Republic of China (primary sources 4 and 5). How do these treaties reflect the different historical circumstances which prevailed between these countries?
You can also refer in your essay to the San Francisco Peace Treaty (primary source 1).Note: In your essay, for the sake of brevity, you can refer to the Republic of China as Taiwan, the Republic of Korea as Korea, and the People’s Republic of China as China.
Primary sources (5 documents):
San Francisco Peace Treaty
1. “Treaty of Peace with Japan, San Francisco” (8 September 1951)
http://www.taiwandocuments.org/sanfrancisco01.htm Links to an external site.
2. “Treaty of Peace between Japan and the Republic of China” (28 April 1952)
http://www.taiwandocuments.org/taipei01.htm Links to an external site.
3. “Treaty on Basic Relations between Japan and the Republic of Korea” (22 June 1965)
http://www.ioc.u-tokyo.ac.jp/~worldjpn/documents/texts/docs/19650622.T1E.htmlLinks to an external site.
China (2 documents)
4. “Joint Communique of the Government of Japan and the Government of the People’s Republic of China” (29 September 1972)
http://www.taiwandocuments.org/japan01.htm Links to an external site.
5. “Treaty of Peace and Friendship between Japan and the People’s Republic of China” (12 August 1978)
http://www.taiwandocuments.org/beijing.htm Links to an external site.
Beside the primary sources, you must also use secondary sources. The Canvas lecture and tutorial readings and the below list of recommended readings are a good starting point, but these lists are NOT exhaustive, and you are free to use any other relevant sources.