Discussion: Counseling Adolescents
The adolescent population is often referred to as “young adults,” but in some ways, this is a misrepresentation. Adolescents are not children, but they are not yet adults either. This transition from childhood to adulthood often poses many unique challenges to working with adolescent clients, particularly in terms of disruptive behavior. In your role, you must overcome these behaviors to effectively counsel clients. For this Discussion, as you examine the Disruptive Behaviors media in this week’s Learning Resources, consider how you might assess and treat adolescent clients presenting with disruptive behavior.
· Assess clients presenting with disruptive behavior
· Analyze therapeutic approaches for treating clients presenting with disruptive behavior
· Evaluate outcomes for clients presenting with disruptive behavior
· Review this week’s Learning Resources and reflect on the insights they provide.
· View the media ( below)Disruptive Behaviors. Select one of the four case studies and assess the client.
· For guidance on assessing the client, refer to pages 137-142 of the Wheeler text in this week’s Learning Resources.
Note: To complete this Discussion, you must assess the client, but you are not required to submit a formal Comprehensive Client Assessment.
Post an explanation of your observations of the client in the case study you selected, including behaviors that align to the criteria in DSM-5. Then, explain therapeutic approaches you might use with this client, including psychotropic medications if appropriate. Finally, explain expected outcomes for the client based on these therapeutic approaches. Support your approach with evidence-based literature
Assignment: Practicum – Week 9 Journal Entry
· Develop diagnoses for clients receiving psychotherapy*
· Analyze legal and ethical implications of counseling clients with psychiatric disorders*
Select a child or adolescent client whom you observed or counseled. Then, address the following in your Practicum Journal:
· Describe the client (without violating HIPAA regulations) and identify any pertinent history or medical information, including prescribed medications.
· Using the DSM-5, explain and justify your diagnosis for this client.
· Explain any legal and/or ethical implications related to counseling this client.
· Support your position with evidence-based literature.
The post Discussion: Counseling Adolescents appeared first on My Assignment Online.