Watch the film “Salt of the Earth”
1) The workers at the union meeting emphasize the “solidarity of the working men.” Yet, the film begins by focusing on women’s work. Why?
2) Frank (the Anglo union organizer) and Ramón have an argument about the portrait of Benito Juarez in Ramón’s house. What is the nature of this conflict? How is Frank portrayed in his subsequent argument with Ruth, his wife?
3) How do the men react to their wives’ offer to picket in their places? Why do they finally give their approval?
4) When violence breaks out on the picket line, how do the women react? How do the men react? What is the result?
5) Why is the attempted eviction of the Quintero family a turning point in the film? How have both Esperanza and Ramón changed by the end of the film?
6) How do the working conditions in the mine affect both the men and the women?
7) What strategies do the men use to try to keep the women silent? What strategies do the women in the movie use to assert their demands for equality?
The post Watch the film “Salt of the Earth” appeared first on My Assignment Online.